Accounts Payable Specialist
The Acme Group consists of three divisions – Acme Mills, Fairway Products and Great Lakes Filters. Collectively, these three companies work in manufacturing and wholesaling of textiles and fabrics for automotive, furniture and filtration applications. The Acme Group is a family owned business since 1917. In addition to the Acme Group of companies, there are several related companies accounted for and administered by the Acme Group.
The Accounts Payable Specialist reports to the Accounts Payable Manager and is responsible for the entire accounts payable process, including the review, development, implementation and compliance with all accounts payable processes and procedures. The Accounts Payable Specialist will review and process all disbursements of the Acme Group and its related organizations. Additionally, the Accounts Payable Specialist will assist with various administrative duties throughout the office as required, including maintaining the contract file, greeting visitors, answering phones, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes and reviews all disbursements of the organization.
- Verifies compliance with company polices and procedures in processing disbursements. Reviews and implements best practices and looks for continuous improvement ideas. Works closely with the Accounts Payable Manager to eliminate AP “roadblocks”.
- Enforces and adheres to all deadlines related to timely payment of company obligations and the monthly/annual closing of the Accounts Payable records.
- Follows and implements procedures to assure the accurate recording and accounting of all disbursements (appropriate backup, correct general ledger account charged, etc.).
- Maintains other software applications for tracking and performing activities that can’t be done within the accounting system.
- Performs other AP related functions including: purchase order receipts, processing and analysis of employee expense reports, invoice/freight discrepancies, etc.
- Assist other staff members as needed.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work.
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel required.
- Attention to detail, with the resourcefulness to drive a task through to completion, is a must.
- Individual must be a team player and be willing to assist the other team members in reaching the goals of the department.
- An energetic and outgoing personality is required. Individual must be friendly but firm when dealing with vendors, customers and employees.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field preferred. College students majoring in related field (Accounting, Business or Finance) will be considered.
- Three or more years of accounting experience; however, college students and recent college graduates will be considered.
- Experience with accounts payable, including appropriate internal controls and regulatory compliance.
- Experience working with generally accepted accounting principles and accounting software.
- Must have ERP AP system experience.